The SLSA Commitment Statement
Every person and organisation bound by this statement of commitment must always place the safety and welfare of children above all other considerations. Surf Life Saving Australia acknowledges that our staff and volunteers provide a valuable contribution to the positive experiences of our junior and youth participants within the movement.
Surf Life Saving Australia aims to ensure this continues, and to protect the safety and welfare of its junior and youth participants.
Surf Life Saving Australian further endeavours to provide a safe and supportive environment for children and young people through the implementation of its Safeguarding Children and Young People program which includes several measures such as:
• Prohibiting any form of abuse against children and young people;
• Providing opportunities for junior/youth members to contribute to and provide feedback on program development;
• Carefully selecting and screening people whose role requires them to have regular contact with children and young people.
• Ensuring the Codes of Conduct, particularly for roles associated with junior activities and junior sport, are promoted,
enforced and reviewed;
• Providing procedures for raising concerns or complaints; and
• Providing education and/or information to its members on child abuse and child protection.
Surf Life Saving Australia requires any child who is abused or anyone who reasonably suspects that a child has been or is being abused by someone within our organisation, to report it immediately to the police or relevant government agency and, in the first instance online via www.sls.com.au/safeguarding
All allegations of child abuse will be dealt with promptly, seriously, sensitively and confidentially. A person will not be victimised for reporting an allegation of child abuse and the privacy of all persons concerned will be respected.
Safeguarding Children and Young People is everyone’s business.